In 2020, Outlook COM add-in will stop being supported. It will be replaced by Dynamics 365 App for Outlook.
The main differences between the Outlook COM add-in and Dynamics 365 App for Outlook
|Solution||Outlook COM add-in||Dynamics 365 App for Outlook|
|Technology||Based on COM/VSTO, a legacy Outlook integration|
model without any active development.
|Cross-platform Office Add-ins model|
Based on Unified Interface.
|Performance||Known to affect the client machine’s performance.||Lightweight integration.|
|Client||Windows + Outlook Desktop.||Windows & Mac OS, Outlook Web Access,|
Smartphone & tablet (iOS/Android).
The list of benefits resulting from connecting Dynamics 365 with Outlook:
- The ability to view information about contractors downloaded from Dynamics while working in Outlook. For example, you can immediately get information about the phone number, company name and recent records saved in Dynamics 365 when you receive an email.
- Integration allows you to combine messages and meetings with contacts saved in the Dynamics system using a convenient “one click” from within Outlook.
- If we have received a message from a new contact, we can add a phone number, tasks and appointments to the Dynamics system much faster.
- From Dynamics 365, you can use the address book saved in Outlook.
- Using Dynamics 365 applications inside Outlook should not require an additional login request to the system.
- The ability to track emails from Dynamics 365.
- Custom Entity and view filtering.
Customizable information about individual contacts. For example, for business contacts we can add information about the industry, company and telephone number. However, for contacts within the organization, it can only be the name of the position. This data can be properly filtered in Outlook so that the view changes depending on the type of specific contact, so that it presents only the data that is most needed.